Happy Holidays to all and hopefully everyone had a wonderful long weekend. Two years ago, and then again last year, I shared some tips on how to make yourself more productive after a multi-day eating binge!! This year we’ve come up with 3 new ones. They are fresh. Get em while they’re hot!! And act on them. Maybe today!!
1. Cliché as it sounds, hit the gym. Don’t wait until the new year. Get back in your routine today or it will be that much harder come 2018. Haven’t been working out? Start today. There’s no rule saying you have to start your 2018 goals in 2018; start them now. Takes at least two weeks to make a change into a habitual routine. Why not get ahead?
2. Find people who share your same 2018 goals, reconnect with them and hold each other accountable. Stronger together.
3. Go through all your toiletries and lotions and hair products and bag up everything you won’t use or haven’t used and take it to the local shelter. People less fortunate need it.
Have a great Tuesday and here’s to a great 2018!
PS as an update for 3 apps to download to help with productivity:
1. Waze—we don’t talk about traffic and you shouldn’t either.
2. Weather bug—don’t let the weather rain on your parade.
3. Voice recorder—best way to send yourself a note, record it.
Leadership is something that comes in all forms. I’ve seen good, I’ve seen bad, I’ve seen indifferent. There is nothing more important to an organization or to a young person’s career than great leadership. Some of the best I’ve been able to work with did phenomenal things to help me get better. Often it came with a little push, a lot of love, and at times a great sit down talk to get through to my hard head.
I think there are 4 essential things a great leader needs to do and I think if you want to be a good leader you can learn how to do these.
- Love your people. We all have a choice every day to find something right or wrong with the people we lead and love. Choosing to figure out what you love about them, will help you make them better as you can start from a firm base and get on same page with their strengths.
- Believe in what your people can do. Did you know a lot of people in our world have NEVER had anyone tell them they believe in them? It’s crazy but it’s true. One of my business mentor’s Steve Piazza was the absolute best at believing in the people on his team when I worked with him. He believed in PEOPLE. Didn’t matter really who you were, if you were on his team, he thought you could be great. It’s a skill to think this way, and believe me developing this skill is critical to becoming a great leader.
- Inspire a love of learning. If you can teach people to love learning, you will go far. There is nothing more powerful than helping someone expand their mind. I think I read somewhere that “knowledge is power”. Inspire people to love to learn.
- Challenge your peeps to grow themselves every day. Most people need a push to get “out of the box” or “out of their comfort zone”. Have the awareness to recognize other’s tendencies and help them see things they can’t see for themselves. I think that truly caring about people involves pushing them to new heights.
If you follow these 4 steps you will not only be known as a great leader but you will also see your team succeed and achieve new heights. Knowing you have a hand in that success is one of the best feelings, nurture it.